Friday 3 February 2012

The cold and its fluff

So its like 0 degrees or maybe even lower out there. I'm all warmed up in my room...... tired and sleepy but not about ready to call it a day so its time to put in a post or two.

Well I was busy coding away the 'vectorial' form of calculations for my FYP and I stumbled upon a road block on how the right combinations of Bolus-Basal-Rate would be extracted for each time iteration. It would depend on a benchmarking notation which initially was based on the Risk Index. But that itself is time dependent! So I coded the rest of the program in the vectorial notation and sent a long email to my supervisor close to 12am that night to clarify my findings. And I thought my project was proceeding pretty smoothly :-/

Anyways, like I said its freezing cold out there. Got up early (ok so I missed my alarm and I was almost late) for a 9am sustainable energy systems lecture. Met William as usual and he's getting his grading done this Sunday! Awesome stuff! I know he'll get through and he's pretty determined. Maybe he's devoted a bit too much of his life to kendo but I hope he doesn't neglect his studies. 

Back to the story about seeking accommodation for the graduation trip, I went to have a look at Barkston Rooms just around Earls Court. Its basically a youth hostel and we all know how youth hostels are built and operated. I wouldn't rate it as the best hostel to live in especially for such a relatively long stay for a trip (1 week). I would rank it among the few hostels which I would try to avoid but hey I'm not that old and I just need a bed to rest during the wee hours. It was on par with the hostel that me and Swan bunked in when we were in Paris. The receptionist handed me a key to a room and he told me to view it myself! lolz talk about 100% trust in strangers or 100% laziness perhaps. So I made my way up to the 4 bed 'dorm'. I'm thinking when they mentioned a 'quad room' its basically a 4 bed dorm which had all 4 beds vacant. Zzz...... There were 2 bunk beds in the room with a small fridge and a sink. No bells and whistles but the room was decent. It was generously spacious and I would be pretty happy with it. So what's so bad about the place you say? Quite subjectively the toilets and showers. There was a single toilet in the hallway which was shared by another 3/4 rooms on the same wing. The shower was located on another wing which wasn't too bad. The thing which really put me off was that there were 2 showers (not the most luxurious looking) which looked so-so in terms of hygiene but one of them doesn't even have a shower nozzle! Wadafak............ I'm guessing there are 2 showers shared by 2 wing-length of rooms and one of them is already out of service!?????!!! Seriously? Zzzz...... well it is a youth hostel so it's to be expected I guess.

I will have to inform everyone about the hostel. Personally I'm willing to put up with the place since I've had worse experiences *cough cough.... Chamberlain... cough... house*Cough** Considering that Easyhotel was pretty restricting in terms of floor space. It's practically a bed and a toilet with almost zero floor space. Oh and did I mention no windows? Haha yea. A price to pay in return of clean facilities and a prime location.



Oh and the best part of my day? A rejection email from none other than Accenture Singapore. Remember my 2nd post of this blog stating myself writing a long winded letter to accompany my exam transcript? Well yes it was for Accenture Singapore. I worked pretty hard for this application and I had put a lot of thought in answering all the questions in the application. Well it appears that Singaporean's really do just want perfectionists to join their ranks. Sigh......  a quiver of disappointment sharply puncturing my ego and self esteem at such an important time of my studies.....

Guess I'll put this into a separate post so until next time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment